Sunday, April 18, 2021

JAMIE'S 2011 LIST

2011 - we've moved on from the glory of high-school on to the weirdness of whatever comes next. Okay, I'm 4 years late... Maybe 'what comes next' didn't happen at the same time for everyone... My 'what comes next' was not nearly what I was hoping it would be. In 2011 I had just barely graduated adult high-school, and made the cookie-cutter decision to move out west. Thinking I was bold, I got a Canadian Tire hiking backpack, packed all of my earthly belongings and went to meet Vince in Vancouver (where he'd recently arrived from a bike trip where he made it to Thunder Bay and hitched a ride to Vancouver). Life felt special, I felt special for what I'd done. Boy, was I wrong. Here's a list of albums that helped me come to terms with where I was at.

10. Marine Dreams - S/T

After Attack in Black broke up, Southern Ontario didn't know what to listen to anymore. Ian Kehoe made that a bit easier on everyone. This album is so solid. Hard to find a defining banger, but the album lightly fucks full-through.

Choice Nugs: No Face, Yet To See The Sun, Fold The Sky

9. Destroyer - Kaputt

This was a more difficult album to find time for, but when I did, I found myself appreciating it a lot. I do love how 'Vancouver' this record is. The album cover is Dan Bejar standing in Queen Elizabeth Park on a beautiful day. The vibe of the record is very 80's lo-fi.

Choice Nugs: Chinatown, Downtown, Kaputt

8. John McKiel - Tonka War Cloud

This list is starting to look pretty Canadian...John Mckiel...absolute beauty. Didn't find this one until a few years ago, but absolutely love it now. Beautiful songwriting, beautiful voice. He's got a very alluring way of writing bridges. Almost every bridge on this record pulls me in.

Choice Nugs: Strands, Death Van, Fist Fight, Iceman

7. Dogday - Deformer

Few a da by's making it happen. What a cool record. Not many tracks stand out, but the whole thing is just great. Great tones.

Choice Nugs: Eurozone, Bluish Grey, Day Dream

6. Bonnie Prince Billy - Wolfroy Goes To Town

Such a hard album to place on this list! I struggled with this placement for weeks! Some of Will Oldhams strongest writing. The arrangements are perfect and Angel Olsen makes quick work of perfect harmonies.

Choice Nugs: No Match, Time To Be Clear, New Tibet

5. Feist - Metals

Hurts to put this so low. This is my favourite Feist record. She absolutely hits everything shes going for here. Every song is so well written.

Choice Nugs: The Circle Made The Line, The Bad In Each Other, How Come You Never Go There

4. Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'

Raphael Saadiq has an incredible catalogue and Stone Rollin' definitely doesn't sit at the top, but it's great in it's own ways. Production is off the charts. He clearly spent a lot of time on this.

Choice Nugs: Go To Hell, Good Man, Heart Attack

3. Bry Webb - Provider

This was Bry Webb's first album post-Cons. He clearly still had songs to write. So many strong songs on here, but I feel like 'Viva' takes the cake. It doesn't take long to realize here at Bry Webb doesn't need a band to be the best Canadian song-writer... Yeah, I said it....

Choice Nugs: Viva, Asa, Ex-Punks, Get You Up In Peace

2. James Blake - S/T

Wow. One of the best debuts of the past 30 years. Struggles to follow it up, but at least it exists.

Choice Nugs: Unluck, Limit To Your Love, Give Me My Month, I Never Learnt To Share

1. Chad VanGaalen - Diaper Island

I try not to ask anything of anyone reading this, but I would personally appreciate it if everyone reading this listened to this record front to back. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful Canadian record ever written. I don't know to analyze it, but I know that I love it a lot.

Choice Nugs: Peace On The Rise, Heavy Stones, Shave My Pussy, You Changed Your Name, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment