Sunday, January 3, 2021

OWEN'S PICKS FOR 2003, ONE OF THE YEARS PEOPLE WOULD WEAR THOSE GLASSES WITH THE 00'S ON NEW YEAR'S EVE

As I mentioned kind of briefly in one of our chats, I think I had a unique experience here as 2003 wasn't my favourite year. To be honest each time went to look up an album I was excited for it ended up being from 2004! There were however some classics and some a couple faves, so here is my list! This one will be in a lose order.

1. Black Eyes - Deformative

One of my favourite musical discoveries in recent years. These guys only released two albums. One in 2003 with Deformative and 2004 with Cough. Semi underground DIY punk from D.C. this band is hard to explain. One guitar two bassists and two drummers, with some extra cymbals on the side for the guitarist to play with. Aggressive in your face vocals, uniquely constructed songs  that tend to boil to an exploding point.

The Jam: Deformative

2. Brand New - Deja Entendu

This is a band from NHL 2004. This album ranks 3rd for me behind Daisy and Devil and God.

The Jam: Okay I believe you, but my Tommy gun don't

3. Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!

I introduced this band to my high school class mates as "Thrash metal"

The Jam: Ebolarama

4. Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

A classic, still holds up

The Jam: Everything Went Numb, A moment of s/violence please

5. The Decemberists - Her Majesty/Castaway and Cutouts

On Spotify it says they write theatrical hyper-literate pop folk songs. I found that to be a really good way to describe The Decemberists. As a wee lad I was intrigued and fascinated by the haunting yet specific lyrics, seeming like they came from a different time. Interestingly Her Majesty and Castaway and Cutouts both came out in 2003. I couldn't chose so I picked both. To be honest they could be the same album.

The Jam: Red Right Ankle, Leslie Anne Levine

6. Silverstein - When Broken is Easily Fixed

\m/.

The Jam: Smashed Into Pieces

7. Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets with Silent Earth 3.

Ben Carpenter and I played A Favor House Atlantic for our guitar class duo final.  It was sick.

The Jam: A Favor House Atlantic

8. DeVotchKa - Una Volta

Inpired by the music of Eastern Europe DeVotchKa combines, folk, punk, cabaret and whatever else, with some of the best violin playing I have ever heard in modern music. The Haunting track Commerce City Sister is a personal favorite. For the violin, check out Death by Blonde.

The Jam: Commerce City Sister, Death by Blonde

9. Armor for Sleep - Dream to Make Believe

When my friend showed me this band sometime in the mid 2000s he called it "Armor for 
Sheep" and I thought that was their name for longer than I'd like to admit. Good tunes.

10. Billy Talent - Billy Talent

I debated putting this on here, but for how much I listened to it back in the day, I just had to.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

1. The Thermals - Parts Per Million
2. Pennywise - From the Ashes
3. The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed
4. The Distillers - Coral Fang

1 comment:

  1. "I debated putting this on here, but for how much I listened to it back in the day, I just had to." Haha I respect your honesty :)

    ReplyDelete