Wednesday, March 17, 2021

LUKE'S 1998 TOP TEN BONANZA

10. The Offspring - Americana

The last good Offspring album. I'm pretty sure all my friends and I had a copy when I was a wee lad. "Weird Al" turns the only song I dislike into a classic so I can just pretend I'm listening to his version.

Songs: Have You Ever, Walla Walla, Pretty Fly For A Rabbi

9. Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come

Best opening to a record ever. 'I got a bone to pick with capitalism, and a few to break." Truly influential album. Too bad they sold out. Would have been stuff of legends if they stopped here.

Songs: Worms Of The Senses/Faculties Of The Skull, The Refused Party Program

8. Bright Eyes - Letting Off The Happiness

Haha Bright Eyes is till my favourite. Conor was 17 when he wrote this album. Still relate to it even though I'm in my thirties. Brings out my vulnerabilities and helps me face my insecurities.

Songs: If Winter Ends, Touch, A Poetic Retelling Of An Unfortunate Seduction

7. Knapsack - This Conversation Is Ending Starting Right Now

This album was the biggest surprise for me. I remember giving it a chance years ago and it didn't hit the same way. It perfectly encapsulates 90's emo but seems like it could have been released today. The more I listen to it the higher it climbs my list.

Songs - Katherine The Grateful, Skip The Details

6. Ten Foot Pole - Insider

Myles Sloan burnt me a mix CD with "The Getaway" on it and the rest is history. The song showed me there was more to the music world than The Beatles and Weird Al. Such a great album.

Songs: The Getaway, Another Half Apology, Nothing To Lose

5. Saves The Day - Can't Slow Down

For fans of Lifetime (haha)

Fuck this band used to rip so hard. Anytime Ten Feet Tall comes on I tell people to shut up so we can listen to the "To go, to go," part. A great debut for one of the most important bands of my youth.

Songs: Seeing It This Way, Obsolete, Always Ten Feet Tall

4. The Vandals - Hitler Bad, Vandals Good

Comedy punk at its finest. I used to drive around in my mom's Saturn and force whoever was with me to listen to this album. Now I can drive around in my very own Honda and do the same. Not a bad song on the album.

Songs: Money's Not An Issue, My Girlfriend's Dead, Too Much Drama

3. Mineral - EndSerenating

My favourite of the "90's emo wave." I find the lyrics simple yet the swelling music behind it very moving. I don't know if this statement has any merit but Mineral sounds a lot like Bush if they (Bush) didn't suck.

Songs: Palisade & Serenading, The Last Word Is Rejoice

2. Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights

Seeing a friend for the first time in years is the feeling I had when putting on this album. Nothing's changed, you still finish each other's sentences and being around each other brings up so many memories. You don't know when the next time you will see each other but it will be the exact same. Anybody who says Streetlights version of this album is better can't be trusted and probably fucks kids.

Songs: Day In, Day Out, Sick & Sad, On & On & On

1. The Appleseed Cast - The End Of The Ring Wars

I always struggle to explain why and how I choose my number ones. But this album incapsulates everything I like in music. It sounds like a mix mash of Sunny Day and Mineral. I urge you guys to listen to it in it's entirety if you haven't already. So fucking good.

Songs: Marigold & Patchwork, The Last Ring

SONG OF THE YEAR

1. Anal Cunt - Saving Ourselves For Marriage

3 comments:

  1. I have no fucking idea how I missed Keasbey Nights but here we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to check these out, and nice shoutout to Anal Cunt again, although you have also failed to realised Bonus Track is their best song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that STD part about shutting everything down during 'Ten Feet..' is so real.

    ReplyDelete